Search This Blog

Friday, November 06, 2009

2 Years!?!?!

It's been almost 2 years since I've posted on this thing. That's too long. I think it's time to dust this thing off and start writing and reviewing again.

So, without further ado, this week's review is about...World of Warcraft. That's right, sports fans, World of Warcraft (hereafter referred to as "WoW").

In one simple word: DON'T. I FINALLY got my life back after getting sucked into that game nearly 2 years ago, and while it was a much better time (and money) sink than other activities (read: hookers and crack) it was still a time (and money) sink. Real life is a much better place to spend my time, and real life friends are much better than disembodied voices on the other end of a ventrilo server.

Don't get me wrong, I DID meat some pretty cool people playing the game. But these are people most people rarely (if ever) see. There were the odd opportunities to meat some of them IRL (WoW-speak for "in real life") but I never took advantage of those opportunities. Mostly b/c they would have required MORE time (travel) and MORE money (airfare) than WoW already took from me on a monthly basis.

But I also avoided it b/c the fantasy is SO much better that the reality. In my WoW fantasy world everyone that I met was a cool, hip dude or gorgeous svelte woman, all of whom would have been at home at both sports bars and wine parties. In my WoW reality world most probably looked like Uncle Fester from the Addams Family (and we're talking both the guys AND the girls here) and couldn't fit in socially at a hot dog stand. While I'm certain that that's not true for ALL of them I'm more certain that the truth is closer to my WoW reality than it is my WoW fantasy. So, I kept to the fantasy.

While I will miss many of the people I talked to many a night into the wee hours of the morning, I will NOT miss the time spent away from friends and family, the money lost to fantasy worlds and false economies, the arguments with my lady, and that odd look I'd get when people learned that I, too, had succumbed to World of Warcraft.

So from now on you'll see me out and about a bit more. Because running through the streets of Arlington on a bike path is much more athletic than roaming the plains of Azeroth on a hippogryph.

2 comments:

Cptn S.A. Ho said...

You have to pay a monthly fee to play? I hade no idea. Was it just like the South Park episode? The commentary is funny as hell on that episode. The Blizzard guys had a blast making fun of themselves.

Murray said...

Yeah, it's about $15 per account (I had 2). And, yes, at times it WAS like that episode. I'm going to look for it on YouTube now, in fact.